Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Musical Memories: eX-Boyfriend


My theme is Musical Memories:  The Memories that music brings rushing back.

So, today I am borrowing from an old entry in 2008 and stretching a bit to get X.  There was a fellow I dated for a year before I met my Pete.  And while we were dating, when we'd be in a pool hall, Pete would play George Strait's "You Look So Good in Love" and dedicate it to my ex, Rocky.



And he'd say, "That's what he's saying now." That's the song.

Now for the memory.

Prior to meeting and marrying Pete, I had dated a fellow from Beaumont named Rocky for close to a year. He was my last boyfriend before Pete. Then I had met Pete and three months later, we were married. I had a Mustang Cobra unlike any other around these parts and he drove a little red AMX. Two similar sporty cars. I have an old photo of them parked hood to hood and a caption above them that says, "The other couple in love."

But I digress. I don't remember the reason, but one day Pete had to go to Beaumont. Now, being a good country boy, he tries hard not to go to the big city. And to him that is the big city. But for some reason he did need to go and for whatever reason (may have just been to drive something different) he took my Mustang.

Down in Beaumont, Pete was having trouble locating the place he was looking for. Well, he has more common sense than pride, so he pulled in to a tire shop to ask directions. A man was standing outside in the parking lot. Pete parked near him and got out to ask directions. The man was looking the Mustang up and down. Then he was looking Pete up and down. Finally, before answering Pete's question, he asked his own, "I guess you are the guy that married Barbara?" Pete looked at him for a moment and then said, "Yes, I am. And I suppose you are Rocky."

When all was said and done, Rocky told him how to get where he was going. And Pete got a kick out of telling me about this chance meeting. All I can say is "what are the odds!?!?" We aren't talking a tiny one horse town here. And we are talking about a public place....a tire shop.  I suppose it was meant to be.

Have you ever had such an unusual circumstantial meeting occur?

What's your favorite George Strait song?



18 comments:

  1. That is funny!

    My favorite co-incidence: I was in Naples, Italy, looking at the bay and a lady next to me said, "Cherdo? Is that you?"

    Favorite George Strait: "I Cross My Heart."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good George Strait tune! It's funny, but I live in a very small town. Yet, I can go years and never run into some people who live here in town. But let us get away from home, and we'll see them! And it often seems the further from home I go, the more I run into!

      Delete
  2. I don't have a favorite. I listen to country while driving and can never remember names. I guess I should jot them down. I'm listening more and more to the country venues these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And I'm listening to it less and less. But I grew up on traditional country music. I don't know what that stuff is that they sing with a twang now, but it ain't country. I do have one classic country station out of Houston I listen to.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what are the odds indeed? Scary he remembered you Mustang so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not really scary, as it had been less than a year since we dated, and I had a bright blue 1979 Mustang Cobra with the large cobra decal on the front. The only one anywhere around here. I have never seen another with my own eyes.

      Delete
  4. that is quite a coincidence. I've never had such a meeting. and sorry - George Strait was not in my Yankee wheelhouse. How about Ed Sheeran's current CD "X" - there's some good music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a huge fan of Sheeran. And I like a few of his tunes she plays.

      Delete
  5. I like anything George Strait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has enough hits, you can play him for 24+ hours on Spotify and never hear the same song twice!! One of the very few who I like most everything they have ever recorded.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a coincidence, or fate, depending on how you look at it.

    Only 2 letters left!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more days! Wow! Perhaps it was providence's way of satisfying their curiosity about each other.

      Delete
  7. That is a wonderful story! I love all of George Strait and this is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...