Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Gossip

The Church Gossip
Sarah, the church gossip and self-appointed supervisor of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose into other people's business. Several residents were unappreciative of her activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.

She made a mistake, however, in accusing new-member George after she saw his pickup truck parked all afternoon in front of the town's only bar. Said Sarah, "Everyone seeing it there would just know that he was an alcoholic!"

George, a taciturn sort, stared at her for a moment before simply walking away, saying nothing.

Later that evening, George parked his pickup in front of Sarah's house.

And proceeded to leave it there all night.

"Don't gossip.  Don't falsely accuse your neighbor of some crime, for I am Jehovah."  Leviticus 19:16

"A gossip goes around spreading rumors, while a trustworthy man tries to quiet them."  Proverbs 10:13

"Don't let me hear of your suffering for murdering or stealing or making trouble or being a busybody and prying into other people's affairs.  But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian."  1 Peter 5:15 &16a

Jokes from ArcaMax.  Verses from The Living Bible.

 

As for the devotions, I'm moving on to the 7th Devotion on Marriage.  Here we enter into the New Testament.

12 comments:

  1. Amen.  And another thing:  I've learned ... If they gossip TO you, they'll gossip ABOUT you!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, I needed it today more than ever.

    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, this is why I am agnostic. I read about Christ in the bible but his representatives don't even bother to obey the bible. Yet, they attack other people who have different faiths.
    I was Roman Catholic until I was 23 and I formally excommunicated the church in writing because of the mass child molestations. The priests were teaching the wrong kind of love and forgiveness meant keep your mouth shut.
    Christian people should learn to understand that "other people are watching them and their behavior." They can see the hypocrisy and don't want to listen to words like forgive and love anymore.
    I'm agnostic yet try to do my best in this world. Cripes, I follow the scriptures better than most Christians so. I practice loving kindness towards my fellow man and try to help whenever and wherever I can, but my patience with Christians is growing thin. These people better get on the ball and start practicing what they preach because many people don't want to have anything to do with religion or churches anymore.
    Good entry and hope everyone reads the scriptures you left because they make perfect sense to this agnostic girl.
    Dianna

    http://journals.aol.com/sazzylilsmartazz/DiannasMindlessMusings/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story with very good point
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good story with very good point
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!! And excellent verses.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double AMEN to that!!!
    ~ Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a good one!  Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one, loved it.
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get your point loud and clear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of a book by Zona Hayes

    GOSSIP: TALKING YOUR WAY TO hell

    I think the title says it all...


    :)
    Cammie

    http://journals.com/yeshuaessenor/JESUSJESUSJESUS

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...